Thursday, May 17, 2007

Book #20: Ella Enchanted

Book #20: Ella Enchanted
Author: Gail Carson Levine
Pages: 200-ish
Grade: A
Buyability: 7/10
Status: Bought & owned

Review: This is one of the books I read for my fairy tales class as it's a short novel that retells the Cinderella story in the form of a full-length story about a young girl cursed with the duty of being obedient. She goes on adventures to try to break her curse but eventually is reduced to slavery by her stepfamily until the curse is finally broken...a prince, glass slipper, and a happily ever after are involved.

I really liked this book! Even though the Cinderella story is so tired for me after this class, I found Ella Enchanted strangely amusing and cute - the romance was well done, Ella was a good Cinderella role model as opposed to traditional versions, and the world created in the story was quite lovely. I could have done without some of the magic/ogre languages and so on, but overall it was a cool modern redo of the story where the fact they made it fantastical actually made it quite realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment