Thursday, May 17, 2007

Book #19: How to Win Friends & Influence People

Book #19: How to Win Friends & Influence People
Author: Dale Carneigie
Pages: 250 I think
Grade: C-
Buyability: 4/10 (because if you're actually going to follow the advice of this book, you'll want to keep it on hand)
Status: I think this was in my mom's collection of books, and it probably still resides there.

Review: I do not need a self-help book folks, this was for pop lit. It was interesting to read cause it is quite famous and was written in 1936 believe it or not...which is crazy cause a fair bit of the advice is still relevant, but a lot of it was annoying and manipulative. I tried out a few of the techniques and found it a bit exhausting to always be this person that Carnegie is suggesting you should be...attentive, ask lots of questions, make people feel happy to talk to you etc.

It was an easy read though - I got through it quite quickly. I'd say if anything you should read the beginning of each chapter, the end, and a couple of examples in between and you'll get the gist. Every example simply reillustrates the point of the chapter! There were some good tips though - say it with a smile, remember people's names, be courteous...stuff that is simple but is nicely reinforced in the book. But definitely not the type of self-help book I'd recommend to someone that needs some help!

No comments:

Post a Comment